Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Predictions for Euro 2012 Quarter Finals


Czech Republic v Portugal  - Portuguese Czech-mated: 2-1 to the Czechs
Ho-Hum. Not the most interesting game in my honest opinion.  Don’t really follow these two teams closely myself, but judging from the players that I do know between both teams, and judging from some absolutely made up, sticking my thumb in the air assessment, I’d go for a Czech win. Just because I like the underdogs.  And I am not particularly fond of Cronaldo.

Germany v Greece – No recovery in sight for the Greece just yet: 2-0 to ze-Germans
I would love to see the Greek win this one. But I just don’t see it happening. Heard on BFM on Monday that the German guest was complaining that his team aren’t performing to his expectations, and they need to up their game and he has been so far disappointed. These Germans can be a very demanding bunch. They are the only team that won ALL their group games. Although if the Danes actually won the last game, there was *a* chance that they may have been kicked out. May. But no way. I am not buying that. The Germans have an efficient, precise engine running there. With Schweinsteiger (is that how you spell it?) pulling the strings, and Muller, Khedira and Ozil in midfield, I just don’t see the Greek winning this one. Stranger things have happened. Euro 2004 anyone?

Spain v France – No repeat of the French invasion of Spain: 1-0 to the Spanish
Now it gets more interesting. Will tiki-taka football triumph? Will the false 9 approach show the rest of the world how it’s done? I think the Spanish national team are not performing to the same tiki taka awesomeness level as Barcelona as they have a massive “Messi”-sized hole right at the heart of the team. Still, I think they will still be able to pass the French to death and probably get a goal. My guess would be a more than 60% possession for the Spanish with the winning goal to not come from a striker or a False 9.

England v Italy – Expecting the double decker bus to be firmly parked again: 1-0 to the English
I am expecting this game to bore me to the brink of death. England parking the double decker bus again. Italy being Italians. Goal to come from a Stevie G cross to Andy Carroll’s head and into the net. Either that or Downing to come on as a sub and score the winning goal in the 91st minute from an assist from Henderson. Ok. Probably not.

Now, bring on the lack of sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment