Tuesday, January 13, 2004

A Long Day is Over

Feeling tired 
By the fire
The long day is over

The wind is gone
Asleep at dawn
The embers burn on

With no reprise
The sun will rise
The long day is over

-A long day is over, Norah Jones


I have been "smacked up with work up to my neck such that i have no time to stop thinking" sort of busy today. Its been such an unbelievably busy busy day, such that i don't even remember time passing by today, as i have been continously concentrating non stop from AM to PM. Once i finished my stuff, i was thinking "Goddamn, it's 7pm ALREADY?!!!". I find it absolutely amazing what i can do when i just stop being such a lazy bastard and actually get on with it. Absolutely amazing. Anyway, after such a long day, i thought i'd just take some time off work and put in my Norah Jones [www.norahjones.com] CD into the PC and spin me some of 'em relaxing tunes from her album. Like the one on top there, A Long Day is Over. Its absolutely amazing since it only consists of like three verses, and only like 33 words in it altogether. Short and sweet. I think i should thank the internet for introducing me to her, since i found out about her while i wasrandomly browsing through the top 10 CD bestsellers in Amazon sometime early in 2003 (Yes, 2003. I am THAT behind time when it comes to these things!). After hearing a few samplets of her tunes online, i went straight to my friendly neighbourhood CD store and purchased the first "Come Away With Me" album that i set my eyes on.

I must say though, that for a few months last year, i wasn't able to even touch my precious Norah Jones CD since i had the very non-pleasure-able experience of watching the infamous Jeniffer "I'm still, I's still Jenny from the Bronx" Lopez piece of cinematic dross that would be called Maid in Manhattan in the cinema. That movie was sooooo indecently offensive that i still have "Wake up deep in the middle of the night screaming at the top of my lungs, sweating like i've just run a marathon" sort of nightmares about it. Well, OK, maybe not that BAD, but still, it was/is just so darn bad that it just traumatized me oh so much just watching that movie. And also, the producers managed to fit in, not one, but TWO of my precious Norah Jones' melodies into the movie, such that whenever i hear "Come Away With Me" or "Don't Know Why" on the radio, i start to pound furiously on the radio buttons screaming.. "Change!!! Change!!!I'm getting grotesque flashes of Jennifer Lopez acting as a down to earth, single mom, maid singing... Don't be fooled by the rocks that i got, i'm still, i'm still Jenny from the Bronx.... Noooooo!!! Shoot me !!! Shoot me!!!".

OK. That was probably exaggerating it a tad tad bit, but that movie DID spoil the whole relaxing experience of listening to Norah Jones on the radio while driving back from a hard day's work at 11pm at night while the roads are clear. Sigh. But i am a strong person. After two to three months trauma and suffering, and after finally regaining the strength to pick that dusty CD of mine, i have managed to start listening to her again (Norah Jones!!! Not Jenif-Lo!!), although i still don't leave my mind off guard JUST in case. I am proud that i have gone through that period of my life as I have definintely turned out a better, stronger person for it.

Anyway, i think i better be making a move now. Need to get back and get some rest. I have a long and early day tomorrow.

Norah Jones - BrainDead Malaysian's Artiste of 2003
Come Away With Me - BrainDead Malaysian's Album of 2003
(Although i KNOW it came out in 2002, but me, being the "a bit behind time person" that i am, only discovered her in 2003)

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment