Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Fasting month this year...

Ramadhan. Every year, it comes and goes, and at the end of it, we celebrate Eidul Mubarak, or what we call it here in Malaysia, Hari Raya. I just wanted to highlight a slight observation of the Ramadhan month lately.

Lately, the ramadhan month has been equaled to ramadhan buffets, pasar ramadhans (or "params" as they are refered to now, I have been told) and a whole load of eating. Ramadhan buffets in hotels now cost on average more than 100 bucks in a decent hotel. And even with the high prices, you would be lucky to be able to make a booking if it wasn't done a few weeks before. I actually tried making bookings at a trendy hotel a week before and couldn't make bookings. And people go to these buffets to gourge down food like it's running out tomorrow.

Also, going down to Params lately, I have to say has not been a totally enjoyable experience. I've only been to it once this year, and that was to the Taman Tun "param" and the place was packed full of people. Such that the crowd sometimes get rude, bumping into each others shoulder and swearing at each other. Also, everybody seems to be buying a whole load of food. I am not saying everybody does this, but I see a lot of people just tend to buy so much food during these params, and when they get back, they tend to again gourge down their food until they are packed full, and still have loads of left over food, which ends up being thrown away.

And I thought the spirit of Ramadhan was a month of personal self control and moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment