Friday, July 02, 2004

Greece Lightning

Note to self, never write off a team that plays defensive minded tactics, EVER. It looks like history might be repeating itself again, as in Euro 92 (was it 92, i am not sure), where the Danes came from total obscurity of being called in to play to make up the numbers, and went all the way to win the tournament, playing mind numbingly defensive football all the way. Actually, I can see it happening again. The Greeks are a very organized bunch of players and defensively sound as well. They marked Koller and Baros completely out of the game last night, and once Nedved left the game limping, I had a funny feeling in my mind that the "not thought about" might just happen. None of the players that night had a particularly outstanding game, and i can barely remember any Greek player who actually stood out last night, either due to none of them actually had an outstanding game, or all of them looked and sounded the same to me considering the fact that the only Greek players i know are Stelios from Bolton and Theo Zagorakis from Leicester City.

Am still in a state of shock and as far as i can remember, time stood still for me for a whole 5 minutes after the Greeks scored the winning goal as my whole body went numb and i just kept on staring into the screen. Either that or i was just too sleepy at that time and my brain was giving an ultra vespa-esque reaction to the fact that the Greeks had scored the goal at the precise time when the Czechs would not have any time to reply. It was a "semi-golden" silver goal. Instant elimination. There goes my "revised" dream final of Czech v Portugal. I can see the game already, Portugal constantly hammering the Greeks defense while the Greeks try and hit the Portuguese on the break. Still am not sure who to support in the finals.

Who knows, that might just work. Ask the Danes. Expect the unexpected. Predict the unpredictable. It might just happen. I am blurr. Where's my coffee?!!

3 comments:

  1. same here dude... am still in shock. i really really really really really really really really wish Portugal will beat them, but it won't surprise me anymore if they didn't...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more sleepless night to go...... Need... Sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zagorakis doesn't even play for Leicester City anymore, and I have NO idea where he is at right now :)

    Again, am with you - totally clueless abt the Greek team.

    ReplyDelete