Monday, March 15, 2004

Another good chapati place

My love for Indian food has brought me to another place where I can say serves decent chapati. Some friends brought me to the Nasi Kandar Penang joint in Taman Tun, the one opposite the Maxis / Pizza Hut / IBM area. Actually I wasn't really looking to grab anything to eat actually but was more looking to get some teh tarik while we chatted into the wee hours of the morning.

However, me being the Indian food hantu that i am, just couldn't resist trying out the chapati they served there, since after a few teh tariks and an hour or two of talking cock with my buddies my lil tummy just started to cry out for something to fill it. Anyway, the chapati that came, on itself was OK-ish, pretty decent. Tasted like what your normal chapati would taste like, but the way they cooked / made it was in such a way that it wasn't really too thick and hence wasn't really that chewy (chewy and tough, the definition of bad chapatis... well for me at least...). I don't really know whether they purposely made it thin to make it taste good, or was it just another one of those cost cutting schemes. Whatever it was, it worked and it was good.

The side dishes that came with it on the other hand, was truly magnificent. Well, actually not all really, since the dhal wasn't really that outstanding, but the potato-ish thing that came with it is truly magnificent. I mean, the main issue that i had with the ones they serve in Citibank food court ( my normal lunch time fav chapati joint ), is that the potatoes are a bit large and hard, and when you eat them, since they are huge, the centers of the potatoes tastes quite bland. The ones in Nasi Kandar Penang however, were cut into small small pieces and were all mixed up together and mushy. At first when i looked at it, it gave me the impression that someone had chewed it for me first and through up on my plate. However, once you get a taste of it, mmm mmm... nice and soft and just complements the chapati to perfection with its mild amount of spices. No problem of any bland tasting potato centers since the small pieces ensure that the taste actually blends in properly into the potato, leaving no or a minimum amount of "tasteless area" in the potato. I actually ordered another chapati after that since i just couldn't get enough of the potatoes. Either that, or their tactic of giving smaller quantities of the food actually worked!!

No comments:

Post a Comment