Monday, December 08, 2003

Raya Food Overdose Can Give You A Very BAD Sore Throat

I had an exceptionally hectic weekend, especially on Sunday. Well, actually considering the fact that my Sundays are usually filled up with waking up late around 10am (Yes, 10am IS considered late to us working people, especially me, who has to wake up at the ungodly hour of 7am!! OK, maybe some other people out there actually do wake up much earlier than me, i think a LOT of people actually wake up earlier than me, but what the hell, waking up at 7am is STILL considered friggin' early for me. Oh how i long for the year when i was back in University, when i could just wake up at 9am, and STILL have the option of not bothering to wake up to lectures. Actually, that still sometimes happens now, but thats another story altogether!!). Ok where was I? Oh Ok. Sundays are usually me waking up at 10am, going out for a dose of roti canai, then coming back home to go through the all the local papers in front of the TV and then just bumming the day away, revitalising myself so that i wake upon Monday morning refreshed, and raring to go out there and conquer the world...... what a load of bollocks. What i love about the Sunday papers are the features, section two-ish, sort of sub sections / pull outs, which i really do read almost all the articles in there. My house subscribes to most of the local english and one malay sunday papers:

The Straight Times - Actually the first pull out that comes out of the pile sent from NST is the Cars Bikes and Trucks. For some reason, in my personal opinion, that this pullout's quality hs gone down a tad bit in recent times. I dont know. It could just be me. But the main reason i read this section is the column by Jeremy Clarkson. He's writing is just downright hilarious sometimes. I watch his Top Gear program almost every week on Thursday, and although i initially watch it for the cars themselves, but the presenters are just full of wit and humour that even when they are reviewing cars that i dont particularly fancy, i still enjoy watching those three fellas just monkey-ing around in their cars. There was once when they actually tried to prove that they can actually drive fast enough past a speed camera such that it is so fast, that the camera wont be able to capture the picture fast enough. After a few tries, finally they tried driving past it in a car that was supposedly at that time the fastest, although i do not recall what it was, and yes, it eventually DID go fast enough such that the camera could take the picture fast enough! Amazing!

The Sunday Mail - Actually the Malay Mail, i must say is very tabloid-ish in nature, but i do enjoy reading it just for casual reading's sake. Actually, have i ever done ANY serious reading? Hmm.. anyway some articles mentionble here are the ones by the columnists. I don't really remember their names, but there's one by some freelancer from ISIS, and the one on the same page top of her's (Darn, i am really bad with names!!), and also the column by the Wahti person, which i sometimes feel amused by, reading the behavioural acts of some of our very own supposedly "rich & famous", and also the column by the ex-Girl band member...ah yes.. Rina Omar. Probably her's i would most relate to, considering we are supposedly around the same age group. Anyway, the gadget review column by that fella with the smuglooking mug shot of a picture really pisses me off. I mean, just reading it every week, it is just SO goddamn obvious that he just recycles the same article over and over and over and over again every single week and just copies and paste info from the product's website for every single gadget that he supposedly "reviews". If i wanted to know what the features are, i would surf the net myself, like what any other gadget freak would do. What i want to read is more of what you can't find at the sales pitched product web sites. I want to know how good it is really, in real life. Like for example, when i try to send SMSes, i want to know that it's not so goddamn slow that i would end up so darn frustrated, and the phone goes from the palm of my hand, flying into mid-air, and smashes into the wall, and ends up in several non-uniform pieces on the floor. ( R.I.P Sony Erricsson T65, a troublesome servant to me for 3-4 months). I mean, every week, the article ends with "By now, you should have known that how my rating works bla bla bla..It's an arbritary analysis bla bla bla..." which is a exactly the same as the week before, and then nowadays, the fella almost never gives a rating since he supposedly needs more time to play around with it. It just pisses me off seeing that the Malay Mail actually pays this fella to dish out THAT every week. Does this fella actually even reviews the thing every week in the first place. I would love to have a job reviewing gadgets every week. Hmm, i wonder how i can apply.

The Star - OK, this section 2 pullout is HUGE. I mean theres the entertainment section, there's the fitness section, and then theres the actual section 2 section (again, i don't really remember the name now, seems all names are just off my head this morning. Must be due to my lack of sleep). The fashion - review section where they have 3 weekly fashion critics criticizing pictures of celebrities attempting to make a fashion statement can be hilarious at times as the comments they make can sometime be very witty and sarcastic. There's also the Dear Thelma section, which sometimes come up with "interesting" topics for discussion.

Mingguan Malaysia - Seems the only section i read from Mingguan Malaysia is the Pancaindera section. Don't know why, but weekends, i just sometimes don't mind casually reading news and gossip about our local celebs. But it just amazes me sometimes that there's a section around the end where they feature a "model of the week", and i just wonder where do they find these people?!! And then to my horror one weekend, i open that section and "hey... this fella looks familiar... hey i know this fella!!.. oh my GOD!!!!".. so far TWO people i know have been featured there.

Anyway, yesterday was particularly very busy. I think it's due to it being the first weekend everybody is back in KL, so everybody decided to have their open houses. I mean, on Sunday itself i had four open houses to go, then a wedding at night and then another open house after that. How many open houses can you go in one day!!? And then, at each one of the houses, it would be rude to not try out the food that they cooked for you right? So at each house, there's the ketupat and kuah kacang, lemang and beef/chicken/lamb rendang, some houses serve satay, and then there was the assam laksa at one open house as well, and there was also grilled chicken. This is not taking into account the cakes and biscuits and other kuih offerings that they serve there as well. As per every year, i find myself attacking the container containing th chocolate chip cookies. There was this one auntie of mine who baked her own chocolate chip cookies every year without fail. And her cookies are baked with the chocolate lover at mind, considering the ration of chocolate chip per cookie is way way WAY much higher that the normal ones you get. I mean, there are more chocolate chips that cookie dough in some of them!!

So, all of that raya food has left me with my weight loss target before the new year to be abolished til further notice, and a sore throat! I think the sore throat is due to the excessive amount of oily food that was comsumed yesterday since i read somewhere that too much oily food can give you a sore throat. Anyway, off to lunch now.

Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment