Thursday, December 18, 2003

I need my Chillies!!

Americans like 'em big. No, i wasn't talking about THAT, but in general, from my point of view, they like big things. Just look at their cars for instance. This is the country that made the SUV popular. But not your itsy bitsy teeny weeny SUVs that we Malaysian go crazy about like the CRV, or the Xtrail, or the Kia Sportage. I shouldn't even mention our local offering, the Kembara (is that an SUV in the first place?). No. Them Americans lust for 'em huge ass, gas guzzling Suburbans or Trailblazers. A small engined, fuel efficient, practical Honda Civic Hybrid for you, sir? No way. Gimme one of those Suburbans.

Now, i don't have anything against SUVs (And i don't have anything against Americans either). I, myself, would love to ditch my seven year old, power window failing, body parts shaking piece of Malaysia Boleh technology called the Satria and get myself one of those Ford Escapes or one of those Nissan XTrails. But once my heart has stopped thinking and my head kicks into gear, i just realize that one of those aren't really practical for now. I mean, i LOVE the interior space and the huge boot, and the ego boost of potraying a macho, outdoor-ish sort of image to everyone. But the mileage you get from one of those SUVs aren't really what you could call economical. And for someone like me who can barely afford paying the gas of a puny 1.3cc engined piece of semi-malaysian engineering, i guess i'll just have to put off my SUV driving plans for the time being.

Another thing that Americans like 'em huge are their food. The portions that they serve at ANY American styled restaurant, and you will see what i mean. The quantity of food that they consume in a single serving is unbelieveable. I just had a project team lunch a few days back at the Chillies in KLCC and i must say the portions that they serve there are definitely "American". Chillies is one of my favourite places to eat. The food is good there. The portions are extremely good. The atmosphere is, well, OK lah. But the one major gripe that i have with them is their "No Bookings, First Come First Served" policy. I know that they have enough people going there for dinners and lunches to not give a damn about their booking policy, but it is just a major pain in the arse when you want to have a group lunch there for 10 people. It also doesnt help that they ALSO have another policy that you need to have at least 3/4 of your total group before they give you a table. So, out the window goes the plan to send one fella first to book the tables and wait for us to get there. But what the heck. I STILL go there for their nachos and fajitas and their chocolate dessert. Dammit. I can't for the life of me remember what its called!

Anyway, i ordered myself the BBQ ribs that day since i felt like trying something new. The dish, when it came well, didn't really look THAT appealing. It was just one huge slab of ribs, and at the side some fries and one full corn on the cob served with it. Thats it. No garnishing whatsoever, and no vegetables to come with it. One cut into the meat and you know that the meat that they serve there is some good grade A prime and tender beef. However, once i started to eat it, i sort of started to remember that BBQ isn't really one of my favourite flavours. It sort of tastes like tomato sauce, it has the sour-ish tomato taste to it, but its not exactly tomato sauce. It also has a tinge of spiciness to it. Actually now that i'm thinking about it, BBQ sauce could indeed be made of tomatoes. Maybe i should check this one out. Anyway, after a few cuts of the ribs, you just start to get a bit sick of the whole thing. And eating the fries and corn doesnt really help that much either. All in all, i didn't particular enjoy it as much as i would have enjoyed some Mushroom Jack Fajitas or the Swiss Mushroom Burger, or the Big Daddy Dawg, so i guess, this particular order goes into my "never again" list. I didnt even manage to finish all the ribs, although this i would blame it on the amount of buffallo wings, fajita nachos and selery sticks i consumed before while waiting for some late comers to arrive (yes, it was ME who was sent early to go and book tables!).

On another note, a friend of mine just offered to me two tickets to the Lord of the Rings movie marathon this Friday which i declined. I just don't see the point of going into the cinema at 11pm on a Friday night and watching 3 movies back to back until 10 am the next morning. I mean, i DO want to see the movie very very very much, but cant get any tickets for this weekend (can't be arsed to tranverse through the crowd and all, just not my thing ). I just don't see the point of staying up all night watching the other 2 movies first, and by the time you get to the 3rd movie, which i guess would start around 7am, you would be like totally stoned that you wouldnt be able to concentrate on the movie, and hence, would bring down the enjoyment level of the whole experience. By the time it all ends, you would be left felling dazed and with sort of a jet lag, and you would throw away you're whole Saturday trying to recover. So probably i'll just do myself a huge favour and watch it sometime later, when the crowd isn't that huge.

Laters

No comments:

Post a Comment