Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Don't you just miss those years you spent in university?

I am bored. I really really am. Currently in the office, waiting for other people to get their goddamn work done so that i can actually start on mine. Thats the thing about being dependent on people during a project. Get involved in one slacker, not only he gets screwed, you get pulled down with him as well. This fella deserves a nice big middle fingered salute from me.

Actually, i am pretty bored here. I don't really know what to do, well actually there are other items on my to do list which is expanding leaps and bounds by the hour, but considering i just got off the phone with the basterd of a slacker, i just feel so pissed off that i dont really feel like doing any work. Its either that or, i'm just having another round of my procrastination. I seriously think that procrastination is one of my very major flaws and i feel that it is definitely gonna bite me in the arse sometime in the future.

Basically i have been procrastinating all my life, especially during critical periods of my life. I remember my PMR exams, when i only supposedly started to actually read up once i failed a couple of my trial papers which were like weeks before the actual exam. And my SPM as well, god knows what i did before my trials. All i can remember is that one or two weeks before my SPM trials started, some of the nice teachers at my college kind-heartedly sorted us out with the questions for us to "study". I actually scored on my trials so well, that the teachers were so impressed that they put me into some "Kelas Harapan 9A1" school. Me being the lazy basterd i was / am only saw that as extra time spent in classes and less time spent doing stuff i really wanted to do, like sleep. The teachers must be so regretting putting so much hope on me now.

My university days is another prime example of excessive procrastination. Going to a British-style university, the only exams you have are at the end of the year. So what happens in my case is, you only have to actually work (study) for like 1 month for every year! That means going to the libraries, opening up some books and try to make out what the hell the photostated lecture notes from 6-8 months ago were going on about. And thats like for the one month before your exams. During the so called "exam month", of course you can't study! I mean, according to some study technique gurus, studying during the exam days can only make you stressed out, which can only affect what you have already studied, so studying when exams are around are a definite no no.

No wonder everyone seems to think their university days are the best days of their life! You work your arse off for a measly one month a year, and then get a bit stressed for another few weeks while taking examination papers and then, you have 10 months of doing the more importants things in your life. Like getting to know yourself and your interests better. Like hanging out with friends. Like coming up with devious schemes, pranks and pratical jokes to play on your house mates. Like waking up everyday in the bloody afternoon wondering what on earth happened the last night. Like getting to know girls, going out with them, getting them to become your girlfriends, then getting dumped over the telephone when you are in different countries.

Yes, i can see why i enjoyed my life in university. It was an absolute BLAST! God knows what would have happened if i went to one of those American Universities with their so called idea of "regular examination". I mean, why on earth do you need to have an examination every goddamn week! Examinations were invented so that they should only be done once a year the MOST! I don't really know how i would've ended up graduating if i were on an American degree program. However, on the other hand, come to think of it, American degree program are the one that give students credits for playing golf for goodness sakes!

Ah, what nice memories i have of my university years. Nowadays, i feel so much more responsible. I wake up every morning at the ungodly hour of 7am, have a crap, shower, shave, breakfast occasionally, drive to work, work, lunch, work, drive back home, dinner, shower, watch TV, sleep, and the daily cycle continues. It is just so scheduled and robotic sometimes. But working life has made me much more responsible as well. More matured (some would say). Like nowadays i don't go out partying all night and come back at 5 in the morning on a working day anymore. Some people would call that being responsible, while others like a friend of mine would say "You're getting old, basterd!!".

Probably i think thats why i have been thinking of continuing my studies lately. Probably take a year off and do some Master's degree in some godforsaken university somewhere. And of course there's the question of what exactly i want to do as well. Some people say you should go and do your MBA, and get a boost in your career, so you can climb up higher on the ladder of the corporation world. But sometimes i think, what if i were to learn something out of the ordinary, like photography, or English perhaps?

Anyway, the alarm on the "responsible, professional worker" side of me has just gone off, reminding me that i still have loads of stuff to do on my to do list. So i better get out of "ultra-procrastinator mode" and get into "blazing-psycho-workaholic mode" which i try to project to the people i work with.

Laters

No comments:

Post a Comment