Wednesday, November 19, 2003

The Red Inside of Me

OK before i go on, i must confess that i am an avid Liverpool Football Club fan. Actually, i have been supporting them ever since i was in UK studying in Cardiff. Before that i wasn't really supporting any particular team, but one particular instance made me change my mind and from then onwards forever be caught up in the anguish of supporting the "red side of Mersey". I see myself writing a LOT about my team as well.

I think it was the 1996 FA CUP finals between Liverpool and the SCUM, the one where David James did the ultimate sin of doing another one of his customary "clanger dropping" and presenting Eric Cantona with the opportunity to slice the our defence with that pin point shot that won them the FA CUP. What intrigued me was that at the college where i studied my A Levels, the majority of the people there were going hysterical and jumping around, and at one corner there, the only two Liverpool supporters there were sitting down quietly, heads down, faces in their hands.

"I dont mind them winning the league, but i really wanted to win this one"

"David James should be SHOT DEAD"


I didnt really start to support Liverpool exactly then, but after that, i tended to watch a lot of their games with these two people, and me being the type of person that just seems to have a soft spot for the underdogs, i guess, Liverpool is the team for me. Liverpool started to grow on me. I LOVED the way they play under Roy Evan. Flair. Skill. Attack. Pass and Move. Attack. Fowler. McManaman. But for all that superb play going forward, the ultimate downfall for Roy's men were their inability to defend properly. Calamity James comes to mind. Phil Babb as well. And also the incident where Babb went sliding on the ground to save the ball, only for him to slide towards the goal post, feet apart, and ending up with him hitting his bollocks onto the post! Ouch! Clowns! Schoolboy defending. But i still loved them.

Now, i barely controlled myself throwing the remote control towards the television screen when Heskey (from now on to be referred to as the useless donkey) not only misses the best chance he has to redeem himself in the eyes of us Liverpool supporters by missing THAT chance against the SCUM in the dying minutes at Anfield in front of the Kop, but absolutely missing the ball, and slipping down by accidentally kicking his leg instead when he was through on goal, no defenders around to challenge him and Tim Howard already on his backside begging for mercy!! I mean, even my SISTER would have at least tested the keeper.I mean, one commentator summed it up nicely.

"Thats the difference between class and mediocrity. A class player would have taken that chance with ease"

Houllier, do us a favour and sell the useless donkey to Spurs or someone.

OK people, gotta start working now. Laters

You'll Never Walk Alone

No comments:

Post a Comment